Devastating Flash Floods in Texas Hill Country Kill 81, Dozens Still Missing
- Victor Nwoko
- Jul 7
- 4 min read

At least 81 people are confirmed dead and 41 remain missing after catastrophic flash floods struck Texas Hill Country, with the Guadalupe River surging to the height of a two-story building early Friday morning. The disaster has prompted large-scale rescue efforts and a federal disaster declaration for the worst-hit areas, including Kerr County.
Kerr County alone has reported 68 deaths, including 40 adults and 28 children, many of whom are still unidentified, according to Sheriff Larry Leitha. Among the missing are at least 10 campers and one counselor from Camp Mystic, a girls’ summer camp in the area, where roughly 750 children were staying when the flooding occurred. Officials previously estimated as many as 27 campers were unaccounted for.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott visited the devastated camp and described the scene as “horrendously ravaged,” with floodwaters reportedly reaching the tops of the camp cabins. He pledged relentless efforts to locate the missing, emphasizing that search and rescue operations would continue around the clock across the entire Guadalupe River system.
President Donald Trump signed a major disaster declaration Sunday at the governor's request and stated he plans to visit Texas on Friday. The president expressed condolences and praised first responders. Pope Leo also offered prayers for the victims during Sunday Mass, specifically acknowledging families who lost children at the summer camp.

The flooding unfolded with alarming speed. Officials report that the Guadalupe River rose 26 feet in just 45 minutes, fueled by torrential rainfall over the river’s headwaters. City Manager Mark Rice explained that both forks of the Guadalupe received unexpected rainfall far beyond forecasts, with the south fork rising from seven to 29 feet in minutes. The river crested at Hunt at its second-highest level ever recorded, surpassing even the historic 1987 flood.
Flash flood emergencies were declared in five West Texas counties on Friday, as rainfall between 5 and 11 inches fell across Central Kerr County, Northwestern Bandera County, Northeastern Tom Green County, West Central Kendall County, and East Central Kerr County.

In total, 160 air rescues have been conducted. The U.S. Coast Guard alone rescued 223 people, while more than 850 others were rescued from floodwaters, eight of whom sustained injuries. Search operations have involved helicopters, rescue divers, drones, boats, and high-water vehicles. Emergency responders continue to search for the missing, especially in hard-to-reach areas where many people had been camping near the river.
Camp Mystic, located in a known flood zone nicknamed “Flash Flood Alley,” was especially vulnerable. In the aftermath, the camp reported no power, water, or internet service, and road access was severed. Families of several missing children have confirmed their deaths. Among them are 8-year-olds Hadley Hanna and Eloise Peck, and 9-year-old Lila Bonner from Dallas. Sisters Blair and Brooke Harber, aged 13 and 11, also perished while visiting their grandparents along the Guadalupe River. Their grandparents remain unaccounted for.

Multiple other counties also reported fatalities. Travis County confirmed at least six deaths, including some in the capital city of Austin. Burnet County reported three deaths, including a fire chief and a missing 17-year-old girl. Kendall County and Williamson County each confirmed two and one fatalities respectively. In Tom Green County, a 62-year-old woman, Tanya Burwick, drowned after her vehicle was overtaken by floodwaters.
Kerr County Judge Rob Kelly said the community was caught off guard, as no warning system exists and weather forecasts had underestimated the scale of the storm. “We didn’t know,” Kelly said. “Nobody saw this coming.”

As the search continues, families, volunteers, and officials remain hopeful for survivors. Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, who briefly assumed acting governorship during Abbott’s absence, said, “We will stop at nothing” to account for every person. Community leaders are rallying support, and charitable foundations have launched donation efforts to aid affected families.
Campers from neighboring facilities, including Camp La Junta and Camp Waldemar, were reported safe. Elinor Lester, 13, who was evacuated by helicopter from Mystic, recalled the terror as the river flooded. Her mother, Elizabeth Lester, said her son at Camp La Junta escaped when a counselor helped the boys swim out of a cabin window.
"This has brought unimaginable grief," said Rep. August Pfluger of Texas, whose children were also at Camp Mystic. "We mourn with those who have lost loved ones, and we are holding out hope for those still missing."



















Comments