top of page
Using Mobile Phones

Father Who Hid Children on Remote Italian Farm Claims He Was Protecting Them from COVID-19

  • Writer: Victor Nwoko
    Victor Nwoko
  • Jul 2
  • 3 min read
The reclusive father of two children found in nappies on a remote Italian farm is hid the family away to protect them from COVID, it has been revealed
The reclusive father of two children found in nappies on a remote Italian farm is hid the family away to protect them from COVID, it has been revealed

Italian authorities are investigating the disturbing case of two young children, aged nine and seven, who were found living in squalid conditions on a remote farm near Lauriano, after being hidden from the world for years by their father, a 54-year-old Dutch sculptor identified locally as Frederick.


The children, dubbed “ghost children” by local media, had never been enrolled in school or registered with a doctor and were completely unknown to local authorities until April, when emergency services arrived to evacuate the area due to flood warnings. What they discovered shocked even seasoned responders: two children wearing diapers well beyond typical age, living in filth among rotting furniture, rusted trampolines, and piles of rubbish.

The youngsters were filthy, frightened, and entirely unknown to local authorities
The youngsters were filthy, frightened, and entirely unknown to local authorities

Frederick later told local reporters that he hid his children from the outside world out of fear they would contract COVID-19. He also expressed distrust of masks and vaccines, claiming, “I love my children. I just wanted to protect them.” He added that he intended to register them with Italian authorities but was delayed due to his wife’s health problems.


Originally born in Germany, the children reportedly had access to laptops, musical instruments, skiing, and horse riding, according to their father. However, officials found they were unable to read or write and showed signs of having no access to basic hygiene or education.

The siblings – a nine-year-old boy and his seven-year-old sister – were found during an emergency evacuation of a dilapidated property near Lauriano, outside Turin, Italy
The siblings – a nine-year-old boy and his seven-year-old sister – were found during an emergency evacuation of a dilapidated property near Lauriano, outside Turin, Italy

Frederick explained the children were wearing diapers because he had forgotten to bring their underwear during the hasty evacuation. “At the nursery, they gave me some diapers and they put those on,” he said.


Following their discovery, the Turin Juvenile Court issued an emergency protection order, placing the children in the care of the state. The court determined that the children had been “deprived of adequate assistance” and needed immediate safeguarding.


Frederick's partner, a 38-year-old Moroccan woman believed to be the children's mother, is reportedly homeless and showed little reaction when officials removed the children from their father’s care. According to Dutch media, her lack of concern further alarmed authorities.

The children, believed to have been born in Germany before being brought to Italy, had never seen a doctor or set foot in a school
The children, believed to have been born in Germany before being brought to Italy, had never seen a doctor or set foot in a school

The isolated farmhouse had been modified to operate without external utilities, making it self-sufficient in water and energy. Lauriano Mayor Mara Bacolla said this allowed Frederick to cut off from society completely. “It is a very delicate matter,” she said. “These children can finally find a balance and have access to a life worthy of the name.”


The community, unaware of the children’s existence, was stunned by the revelation. While some had noticed the property change ownership, no one had seen or heard any indication that children were living there.


Frederick, who does not speak Italian, has vowed to fight for custody, saying, “I will fight until they are returned to us. We want to live in Italy, in this wonderful country that has gone too far in taking our children away from us... I am not the bogeyman and I miss them so much.”


The case mirrors a similar recent incident in Spain, where three boys were found locked inside a home for four years by parents obsessed with COVID-19 safety. The Spanish children, aged eight and ten, had been confined since 2021, reportedly sleeping in caged beds and living in a home overrun with waste, pet excrement, and expired medicine. They, too, were wearing diapers and had difficulty walking when first brought outside.


Their parents, 48-year-old German-American Melissa Ann Steffen and 53-year-old German national Christian Steffen, were arrested. The children were removed from the home and placed into care.


Both cases have raised urgent questions about how pandemic fears may have fueled extreme isolation and neglect, as governments and social services across Europe confront the long-term impact of COVID-19 on vulnerable children.

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating

Top Stories

1/4

Stay up-to-date with the news straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2021 by Naidja Scoop. All rights reserved.

bottom of page