Former CIA Analyst Sentenced for Leaking Top-Secret Documents on Israeli Military Plans
- Victor Nwoko
- Jun 12
- 2 min read

A former CIA analyst was sentenced Wednesday to over three years in federal prison for leaking highly classified documents detailing Israel’s planned military response to Iran in 2024. The breach, which forced Israel to delay a retaliatory airstrike, raised serious national security concerns and prompted swift legal action.
Asif William Rahman, 34, pleaded guilty in January to two counts of willful retention and transmission of classified information. He admitted to unlawfully removing records from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) while stationed at the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The documents revealed Israel’s intentions to launch airstrikes in response to a large-scale Iranian missile attack.
U.S. District Judge Patricia Tolliver Giles sentenced Rahman to three years and one month in prison — less than what federal prosecutors had requested. The Justice Department stated that Rahman exploited his position of trust, illegally accessing and transmitting top-secret documents that were vital to both U.S. and allied national security interests.

“Asif Rahman violated his position of trust by illegally accessing, removing, and transmitting Top Secret documents vital to the national security of the United States and its allies,” said Erik Siebert, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia. “The urgency with which Mr. Rahman was identified, arrested, charged, and prosecuted is a testament to the commitment and professionalism of the investigators and prosecutors who brought him to justice.”
According to court documents, Rahman smuggled the classified materials out of the embassy in a backpack on October 17, 2024. He took them to his home, photographed the contents, and transmitted the images to unauthorized individuals before attempting to destroy evidence of his actions.
The documents quickly surfaced on the "Middle East Spectator" Telegram channel on October 18 and were subsequently shared across multiple social media platforms — complete with visible classification markings. The information included satellite imagery captured on October 15 and 16 of an Israeli military base preparing for potential airstrikes.

Israeli officials were compelled to postpone their retaliatory strike until October 26 due to the leak, which had exposed operational plans. Rahman continued to access and print classified national defense information until his arrest in November 2024.
The investigation revealed that Rahman had previously disclosed five secret and top-secret documents during the spring of 2024 while working as a CIA analyst in Virginia. In the fall of that same year, he leaked an additional ten classified files.
In court, Rahman acknowledged the severity of his actions. “I fully accept responsibility for my conduct last year,” he said. “There was no excuse for my actions.”
His defense team cited personal hardship, including family-related grief and psychological strain from a traumatic deployment in Iraq, as well as the emotional toll of Israel’s war against Hamas, as contributing factors to his misconduct.
Rahman had been employed by the CIA since 2016 and held a top-secret security clearance at the time of the breach.



















Comments