Israel Launches Massive Strike on Iran’s Nuclear Sites; Iran Retaliates with Missile Barrage as Middle East Tensions Escalate
- Victor Nwoko
- Jun 13
- 5 min read

Israel carried out its largest military operation against Iran early Friday, launching a wave of coordinated airstrikes that targeted nuclear facilities and military installations, killing dozens of Iran’s top commanders and nuclear scientists. The unprecedented attack on Iranian soil has triggered a retaliatory missile and drone barrage from Iran, raising the specter of a broader regional conflict.
The Israeli assault struck key nuclear infrastructure, including Iran's primary uranium enrichment plant at Natanz and facilities in Isfahan and Fordo. The strike on Natanz caused major explosions and fires, with verified satellite imagery and social media footage showing large-scale destruction and smoke billowing from the site. Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, confirmed the destruction of an aboveground enrichment plant, warning of chemical and radiological contamination, though he called it "manageable."

According to Iranian state media, at least 78 people were killed and 329 injured in the Israeli strikes, including four top generals: Maj. Gen. Mohammad Bagheri, Iran's armed forces chief of staff; Gen. Hossein Salami, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC); Gen. Ismail Ghaani, head of the Quds Force; and Ali Shamkhani, a senior politician involved in nuclear negotiations. Two prominent nuclear scientists, Mohammad Mehdi Tehranji and Fereydoun Abbasi, were also confirmed dead.
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the strikes were a last-resort measure to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, which he described as an existential threat to Israel. "If Iran has a nuclear weapon, we simply won’t exist here," he said in a televised statement. Netanyahu revealed that he had ordered preparations for the operation as early as November, initially planning the strikes for April.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei vowed retribution in a national address. "They started a war," he declared. "Life will be dark for them." Iran’s Revolutionary Guard quickly responded by launching “fewer than 100” missiles and over 100 drones toward Israel, with most intercepted by Israel’s air defense systems. Still, multiple buildings in Tel Aviv and surrounding areas were struck by shrapnel, injuring at least 40 people, including some in critical condition.
A missile fired from Yemen also landed in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, though no casualties were reported. Iran claimed it had "forcefully and precisely" targeted military sites inside Israel in retaliation. Israeli military officials acknowledged damage to several facilities but emphasized that most of the incoming threats had been neutralized.

Israel's offensive marks the first openly acknowledged attack on Iran’s nuclear sites, part of a years-long shadow war involving assassinations, cyberattacks, and covert sabotage. The strikes also hit military bases and command centers in Tehran and an underground missile base in Kermanshah.
U.S. officials, while not involved in the offensive, confirmed that American warships assisted in intercepting Iranian missiles. The Pentagon ordered the USS Thomas Hudner to the Eastern Mediterranean and is considering deploying additional destroyers and fighter jets to protect regional assets.

The attack has upended ongoing diplomacy. Iran canceled a scheduled nuclear negotiation with the United States that was set for Sunday in Oman. Former President Donald Trump, reacting online, warned that Iran must “make a deal before there is nothing left,” and predicted even more intense strikes from Israel if no agreement is reached.
The international response has been mixed. France and Germany expressed support for Israel’s right to defend itself, blaming Iran for failing to comply with nuclear accords. In contrast, Egypt called the Israeli assault a “direct threat to regional and international peace.” Russia condemned the strikes and offered to mediate, even as it continues its own large-scale military operations in Ukraine. The European Union described the situation as “dangerous,” urging de-escalation.

Meanwhile, public anxiety in Iran has spiked. Residents of Tehran reported a terrifying night of explosions and fires. “We woke up with our house shaking from the explosions, and it hasn’t stopped,” said Sara, a 52-year-old resident. Khamenei swiftly appointed replacements for the slain generals, seeking to maintain control and prevent chaos.
Israel remains locked in simultaneous conflict with Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon, further heightening regional instability. Humanitarian agencies have criticized Israel over conditions in Gaza, where a collapse in aid delivery has pushed the population to the brink of famine.

With tensions now at a critical juncture, the world watches closely to see whether diplomacy, deterrence, or further escalation will shape the next chapter of Middle East conflict.



















Comments