Khamenei Rejects Trump’s Demand for Iran’s "Unconditional Surrender" as Conflict with Israel Escalates
- Victor Nwoko
- Jun 18
- 4 min read

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has issued a stark warning to the United States after President Donald Trump demanded Iran’s “unconditional surrender,” vowing that any American military intervention would result in “serious, irreparable consequences.”
Speaking on June 18, six days into a high-stakes conflict between Iran and Israel, Khamenei delivered a nationally televised address condemning U.S. threats and asserting Iran’s resolve. “Let the Americans know that the Iranian nation is not one to surrender,” he said. “Any military intervention on their part will undoubtedly result in serious, irreparable consequences.”
Khamenei responded directly to President Trump’s ultimatum, calling it “unacceptable” and urging U.S. officials to “first threaten those who are afraid of being threatened.” He emphasized that threats would not alter the thinking or behavior of the Iranian people. The supreme leader, who has ruled since 1989, had earlier pledged “no mercy” for Israel’s leaders.

The speech came after a series of intense Israeli airstrikes that began on June 13, targeting Iran’s nuclear and military infrastructure. According to the Israeli military, over 50 fighter jets carried out coordinated attacks in the Tehran area, striking weapons facilities and centrifuge production buildings. The International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed that buildings manufacturing advanced centrifuge components in Karaj and Tehran were destroyed, including a site producing and testing rotor parts critical for uranium enrichment.
Iran responded with force. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched Fattah-1 hypersonic missiles toward Tel Aviv and deployed a swarm of drones. Though no missiles directly struck Tel Aviv, Israel’s Iron Dome air defense system intercepted several incoming projectiles. Ten Iranian drones were reportedly intercepted, while Iran claimed to have downed an Israeli drone over its territory.

President Trump, having abruptly departed from the G-7 summit in Canada where global leaders called for a ceasefire, returned to Washington and escalated his rhetoric. On June 17, he demanded Iran’s total surrender and boasted on social media that the U.S. could easily assassinate Ayatollah Khamenei, writing that “he is an easy target” but would not be killed “at least not for now.”
Trump met with his National Security Council to assess the situation and ordered the USS Nimitz and several U.S. military aircraft into the region. U.S. officials stressed that no final decision on intervention had been made. However, Trump’s growing impatience and his refusal to rule out action have heightened tensions.
Iran’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Ali Bahreini, called Trump’s comments “very hostile” and warned that Iran would respond “seriously and strongly, without restraint” to any U.S. attack. Esmail Baghaei, a spokesperson for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, warned that U.S. involvement would trigger “an all-out war in the region” but signaled that diplomatic channels remained open: “Diplomacy never ends,” he said.

While the United States has denied direct involvement in Israel’s military campaign, it continues to offer strong political support. Meanwhile, foreign governments have begun evacuating citizens from both countries as the violence spreads.
In Tel Aviv, Israeli civilians endured repeated air raid sirens and retreated to shelters. In Ramallah, some residents gathered on rooftops to watch the aerial exchanges, cheering as Israeli defense systems intercepted Iranian missiles in dramatic mid-air explosions.

Since June 13, at least 24 people have been killed and hundreds injured in Israel, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office. Iran reported 224 deaths as of June 15, including military commanders, nuclear scientists, and civilians. No updated death toll has been released.
In Tehran, panic buying gripped the population, with long lines forming at bakeries and gas stations. On June 18, Iranian authorities detained five individuals accused of collaborating with Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency.

As the conflict intensified, explosions were reported near Iran’s nuclear facilities in Isfahan and at the Natanz underground enrichment site. The UN nuclear watchdog confirmed “direct impacts” on the underground enrichment halls at Natanz. Israel has not officially confirmed the strike, continuing its policy of strategic ambiguity regarding its nuclear activities. However, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute estimates that Israel possesses at least 90 nuclear warheads.
The conflict has derailed ongoing nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington. Iran announced that it would not continue talks with the U.S. while under military attack.




















Comments