top of page
Using Mobile Phones

Lisbon’s Gloria Funicular Derailment Leaves 15 Dead and Dozens Injured

  • Writer: Victor Nwoko
    Victor Nwoko
  • Sep 3
  • 3 min read
At least fifteen people are dead and 18 more injured after Lisbon's famous Gloria Funicular derailed on Wednesday evening
At least fifteen people are dead and 18 more injured after Lisbon's famous Gloria Funicular derailed on Wednesday evening

At least 15 people have died and 18 others were injured after Lisbon’s iconic Gloria Funicular derailed on Wednesday evening, plunging down a steep hill before crashing into a building.


The accident happened at around 6 p.m. when one of the railway’s cables reportedly came loose, causing the tram-like funicular to lose control. Footage from the scene showed the carriage destroyed, with emergency workers pulling victims from the wreckage.

The drama occurred at 6.05pm on Wednesday evening after one of the cables reportedly came loose
The drama occurred at 6.05pm on Wednesday evening after one of the cables reportedly came loose

Portugal’s National Institute of Medical Emergencies confirmed foreigners are among the dead. Among the injured, five are in serious condition and 13 sustained minor injuries. A three-year-old child was wounded but is not in critical condition.


Witness Teresa d’Avo described the moment of impact: “It crashed into a building with brutal force and fell apart like a cardboard box. It didn’t have any kind of brakes.”

Foreigners are among the dead, according to Portugal's National Institute of Medical Emergencies
Foreigners are among the dead, according to Portugal's National Institute of Medical Emergencies

Rescue operations continued into the evening, with victims transported to Lisbon’s São José and Santa Maria hospitals. By 8 p.m. local time, two bodies had been recovered, and authorities confirmed all victims were removed from the funicular.


Officials have not yet confirmed whether any British or Irish nationals are among the casualties. A UK Foreign Office spokesperson said they are monitoring the situation and remain in contact with local authorities.

Footage from the site showed the tram-like funicular, which carries people up and down a hillside in the Portuguese capital, practically destroyed and emergency workers pulling people out of the wreckage
Footage from the site showed the tram-like funicular, which carries people up and down a hillside in the Portuguese capital, practically destroyed and emergency workers pulling people out of the wreckage

Portugal’s government declared September 4, 2025, a national day of mourning to honor the victims. President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa expressed “deep regret” over the tragedy, offering condolences to the families and wishing recovery for the injured. Lisbon mayor Carlos Moedas was present at the scene.


European leaders also reacted. Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, sent condolences on social media, while European Parliament President Roberta Metsola said: “Europe stands in solidarity with the victims, their loved ones, and the entire community in Lisbon.”

Emergency teams work at the site of a derailed electric streetcar in Lisbon, Portugal, Wednesday
Emergency teams work at the site of a derailed electric streetcar in Lisbon, Portugal, Wednesday

The Gloria Funicular, built in 1885, is one of Lisbon’s most famous landmarks, connecting Restauradores Square with the Bairro Alto district. Capable of carrying 43 passengers, it is a popular attraction for both locals and tourists.


Engineering specialist and former Lisbon City Council member Fernando Nunes da Silva suggested a traction cable failure and brake malfunction caused the runaway descent. He noted it was surprising that backup braking systems did not activate to reduce the impact.

The funicular railway line is capable of carrying up to 43 people and is one of three of its kind in Lisbon. It is very popular with tourists, who use it to navigate the city's many steep hills. Pictured: A stock image of Lisbon's Gloria funicular
The funicular railway line is capable of carrying up to 43 people and is one of three of its kind in Lisbon. It is very popular with tourists, who use it to navigate the city's many steep hills. Pictured: A stock image of Lisbon's Gloria funicular

Transport union Fectrans revealed that Carris workers had previously reported braking issues linked to cable tension. The company said the funicular underwent maintenance between August and September 2024 and confirmed all safety protocols were followed.


The Aircraft and Railway Accident Prevention and Investigation Office (GPIAAF) announced it will conduct a full investigation into the derailment, beginning evidence collection on Thursday.


The Gloria Funicular had no record of major accidents in recent decades before Wednesday’s deadly incident.


The Gloria funicular, which opened in 1885, connects Lisbon's downtown area near the Restauradores Square with the Bairro Alto (Upper Quarter), famous for its vibrant nightlife
The Gloria funicular, which opened in 1885, connects Lisbon's downtown area near the Restauradores Square with the Bairro Alto (Upper Quarter), famous for its vibrant nightlife

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating

Top Stories

1/4

Stay up-to-date with the news straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2021 by Naidja Scoop. All rights reserved.

bottom of page