Texas Teen Suffers Skull Removal Surgery After Brutal Middle School Attack
- Victor Nwoko
- Sep 6
- 2 min read

A 14-year-old Texas middle school student is recovering after a violent attack by a fellow student left him with severe head injuries that required emergency surgery to remove part of his skull.
The victim, identified as Lukas Hardeman, was assaulted on August 21 inside the cafeteria of a Kilgore middle school. According to his parents, another student allegedly picked him up and body slammed him into a metal pole attached to a stool after Hardeman cracked a joke.

The impact caused multiple brain bleeds and severe swelling, and doctors had to use more than 60 staples to close his head wounds. Hardeman was rushed to Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, about two hours away, where surgeons performed emergency surgery to remove sections of his skull in order to relieve pressure.
Two weeks later, Hardeman is slowly recovering. His father, Michael Hardeman, described his son’s struggle, saying, “He’s embarrassed. He is hurt. He is struggling. But I hope when he sees things like this that he has a lot of family behind him. I hope that he can get to a point where he is confident.”

Hardeman’s stepmother, Catom Morris-Hardeman, said the family has been overwhelmed by support from the community. Nearly $40,000 has been raised through donations to help cover medical expenses, travel costs, and future doctor’s appointments.
The teen, described by his family as “a creative, loving teenager who enjoys drawing, gaming, and spending time with his siblings,” has made small but meaningful progress. A video shared by the family showed him eating applesauce in his hospital bed, and he was cheered on by supporters when he returned home after a week in the hospital.

“My son is only alive today because of Jesus, and he had his hands around his heart,” his father said.
The incident sparked outrage and concern from parents, leading to a school board meeting in Kilgore where families demanded stronger safety measures. Parents reported multiple recent incidents requiring ambulances at both the middle school and the high school.
School Board President Jason Smith issued a statement reassuring the community that “the safety, well-being, and trust of students, staff, and community remain the District’s top priorities.” While limited by law from sharing specific details, Smith pledged transparency and said Kilgore ISD is reviewing campus safety measures, communication practices, and district-wide programs.
A district spokesperson confirmed the case was handled under the Student Code of Conduct and that disciplinary action had been taken, though no further details were provided. “As a community and a school district, our thoughts and prayers remain with the injured student and his family as he continues to recover,” the statement read.



















Comments