Torrential Rains Trigger Deadly Floods and Landslides in Beijing and Hebei, Killing at Least 38
- Victor Nwoko
- Jul 29
- 2 min read

At least 38 people have died in northern China following relentless rainstorms that brought nearly a year’s worth of rainfall within just a few days, causing widespread flooding, landslides, power outages, and mass evacuations.
The heaviest losses occurred in the Chinese capital, Beijing, where 30 fatalities were confirmed, while neighboring Hebei Province reported eight deaths. The torrential rains began on Friday and quickly intensified across the region, according to the China Meteorological Administration.

Chinese President Xi Jinping labeled the situation “critical” as the nation navigates the peak of its summer flood season. He instructed local authorities to prioritize life-saving efforts.
In response to the emergency, the central government allocated 350 million yuan (approximately $48 million) in disaster relief funds to heavily impacted regions, including Beijing and Hebei.
Beijing's mountainous northern districts were hardest hit. Miyun District reported 28 deaths and Yanqing recorded two, with officials calling the storm "rare and highly destructive." By midnight Monday, some parts of Miyun had received up to 21 inches of rainfall—almost equal to Beijing's average annual rainfall of 23 inches. The capital issued its highest-level rainstorm alert for the first time this year.

The flooding destroyed more than 30 road sections, disrupted power in over 130 villages, and forced the evacuation of approximately 80,000 residents. In Miyun, a resident surnamed Dong described the devastation: “I’m 70 and I’ve never seen such a big flood. If me and my wife didn’t climb up to the roof, it would be over for us.” Dong said floodwaters swept away his washing machine and two vehicles.
Li Xiaoya, a 27-year-old editor, was visiting Miyun with friends when they were abruptly awakened by their host early Sunday and urged to flee. “I stepped outside only to find that the streets were flooded,” Li said. “I waded through the water to reach the main road, where I saw that most of the villagers had already evacuated to higher ground.” Li and his group managed to return safely to Beijing once water levels receded.

As of 7 a.m. Tuesday, local authorities downgraded Beijing’s rainstorm alert, allowing parks and tourist attractions to reopen. While the storm system weakens in the north, eastern China is bracing for Typhoon Co-may, forecast to make landfall Wednesday.
Beijing is no stranger to summer flooding. In 2023, severe floods claimed at least 33 lives in the city. The current disaster underscores the increasing risks posed by extreme weather across China’s capital region.



















Comments