top of page
Using Mobile Phones

Trainee Doctor Accused of Filming Hundreds of Women in Australian Hospitals Faces 500 Charges

  • Writer: Victor Nwoko
    Victor Nwoko
  • Aug 22
  • 2 min read
Trainee surgeon Ryan Cho leaving the Supreme Court of Victoria in Melbourne
Trainee surgeon Ryan Cho leaving the Supreme Court of Victoria in Melbourne

A 28-year-old trainee surgeon, Ryan Cho, has been accused of secretly recording hundreds of women across multiple hospitals in Melbourne, with police alleging he filmed more than 4,500 videos since 2021. Authorities expect Cho to face around 500 charges, including stalking, producing intimate images, and installing an optical surveillance device.


Cho, who moved to Australia as a student in 2017 and became a permanent resident in April, was arrested in July after staff discovered a mobile phone hidden inside a mesh bag recording in a restroom at Austin Hospital. Investigations revealed he had also allegedly filmed women in restrooms at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Trainee surgeon, Ryan Cho is escorted into the Supreme Court of Victoria
Trainee surgeon, Ryan Cho is escorted into the Supreme Court of Victoria

Police said at least 460 women are believed to be victims, and more are expected to be identified as the investigation continues. A police statement confirmed: "It's alleged a mobile phone was used as a recording device in staff toilets at all three hospitals named so far. Police expect to identify further alleged victims; however, working through this process is expected to take some time."


Cho was initially charged with six offences, but prosecutors have since added another 127, including intentionally recording intimate images without consent. His lawyers anticipate “hundreds” more charges could be laid before the end of the year.

The parents of trainee surgeon Ryan Cho arrive at court in Melbourne
The parents of trainee surgeon Ryan Cho arrive at court in Melbourne

Justice James Elliott granted Cho bail under strict conditions, requiring him to live with his parents after they posted $50,000 AUD (£24,000). The court confirmed that if convicted and sentenced to 12 months or more, Cho could face deportation despite his recent permanent residency status.


Prosecutor Russ Hammill told the court the alleged offending "borders on the obsessive," while Cho’s barrister Julian McMahon argued the case involves "complex psychiatric and psychological issues together with criminal conduct." The defence also dismissed concerns that Cho might interfere with witnesses if released.


Cho has been suspended from Austin Health, with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency confirming that he is currently banned from practicing medicine. He has not entered pleas. Prosecutors expect the case to go to trial in the second half of next year, with significant delays anticipated due to the number of charges and alleged victims.

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating

Top Stories

1/4

Stay up-to-date with the news straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2021 by Naidja Scoop. All rights reserved.

bottom of page