Propane Explosion at Florida City Bakery Injures 10 and Destroys Multiple Businesses
- Victor Nwoko
- May 25
- 3 min read

A powerful propane explosion at a Florida City strip mall on Saturday morning left 10 people injured and caused extensive damage to several businesses, including a bakery that was preparing to open for the first time.
The blast occurred around 8:50 a.m. at a commercial plaza located in the 900 block of West Palm Drive. The explosion sparked a fire and led to a partial roof collapse, prompting a massive emergency response from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue. More than 27 rescue units, including canine teams, were dispatched to the scene to search for victims and secure the area.
Eight of the injured individuals were transported to nearby hospitals by fire rescue teams, while two others arrived at the hospital on their own before crews arrived. Two of the 10 victims were classified as trauma alerts and were airlifted to a nearby trauma center.

Authorities confirmed that none of the businesses were officially open at the time of the explosion, but some employees were inside preparing for the day. One such employee, a cook at Taqueria Cinco Hermanos located on the opposite end of the plaza, heard a loud “BOOM” and immediately fled the building after feeling the ground shake.
The explosion occurred inside Palm Bakery, a new shop located at 941 West Palm Drive, which was scheduled to open its doors to customers at noon the same day. The bakery occupies a corner unit in the strip mall, which houses at least seven businesses.
Florida City Police Officer J. Cadet was nearby responding to a separate emergency call when he heard what he initially believed to be a major traffic accident. Rushing to the scene, he discovered the blast site and helped people evacuate the area.

Throughout the day, stunned community members gathered around the wreckage, peering through shattered windows and debris-strewn sidewalks. Glass covered the parking lot, and the front doors of multiple businesses hung off their hinges after firefighters forced entry during rescue efforts.
Neftali Coronado, owner of Taqueria Cinco Hermanos, expressed deep concern about the fate of his restaurant and employees. “Of course, we are worried that things aren’t going to function, but I’m really worried for our employees and the business,” he said in Spanish.
Another business owner, who declined to be named, said that at least four stores had been destroyed, including his own. Standing behind the yellow tape, he saw that a wall in his store had been completely torn down. Though his shop was closed during the incident, he expressed little hope that any of his merchandise had survived.
Emergency services have not yet confirmed the official cause of the explosion. The structure was evaluated for safety following the blast, and investigators continue working to determine the full extent of the damage.



















Comments