Stolen Plane Causes Security Scare at Vancouver International Airport, Suspect Arrested
- Victor Nwoko
- Jul 19
- 2 min read

A major security alert was triggered at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on Tuesday afternoon after a stolen Cessna 172 aircraft entered restricted airspace, leading to a temporary suspension of airport operations and the rerouting of multiple incoming flights.
The incident began at approximately 1:30 p.m. local time on July 15, when YVR declared a “security incident” involving a small private plane operating without authorization in its airspace. As a precaution, nine inbound flights were rerouted to alternate airports while air traffic controllers worked to manage the developing threat.

Air traffic control audio captured the tense moments as controllers warned pilots in the vicinity. “We do have an aircraft that has been hijacked and is in the vicinity of the airport... just in case anything starts heading toward [you], you have the ability to move at your discretion,” one controller said. Another voice added, “The aircraft continues to circle above, and its intentions remain unknown. For now, we are holding position.”
At around 1:45 p.m., the unauthorized plane landed safely at YVR after a 39-minute airspace lockdown. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) swiftly apprehended the lone pilot, later identified as 39-year-old Shaheer Cassim.
Authorities confirmed that the aircraft had been stolen from Victoria International Airport, approximately 40 miles away, and had belonged to the Victoria Flying Club. A flight instructor at that location was reportedly threatened before the suspect took off in the plane.

An eyewitness to the event, Paul Heeny, described seeing the aircraft fly unusually low above the city, adding, “A few minutes later, the plane made a second pass, circling in a wide clockwise turn.” His account matched air traffic control observations that the aircraft was circling the area without clear intent.
In a press release, RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Tammy Lobb stated that Cassim may have had an "ideological motive" focused on disrupting air operations. He now faces charges related to hijacking and remains in custody as the investigation continues.
Vancouver Airport Authority assured the public that no injuries occurred during the incident. “Safety and security are our top priorities, and we continually review our processes and procedures in service of our operation, our passengers, and our airline customers,” the authority said in a statement.
British Columbia’s Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Garry Begg, commended emergency responders for their prompt action. “Grateful for the professionalism shown by police, air traffic control, and airport staff during today’s incident. Relieved there were no injuries and that normal operations have resumed,” he wrote on social media.
Flight operations at YVR have resumed, though travelers may continue to experience minor delays. Passengers are advised to monitor their airline’s communication channels for real-time updates.



















Comments