top of page
Using Mobile Phones

Tyler Perry Accused of Sexual Assault and Harassment by Actor from "The Oval" in $260M Lawsuit

  • Writer: Victor Nwoko
    Victor Nwoko
  • Jun 18
  • 3 min read
Tyler Perry Sued For Alleged Sexual Assault, Battery By ‘The Oval' Actor
Tyler Perry Sued for Alleged Sexual Assault, Battery By ‘The Oval' Actor

Tyler Perry, 55, is facing a $260 million lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court by actor Derek Dixon, who accuses the entertainment mogul of sexual assault, harassment, and professional retaliation stemming from their interactions dating back to 2019.


According to court filings, Dixon alleges that Perry used his powerful influence in the entertainment industry to create a coercive and sexually exploitative dynamic. Dixon claims he was subjected to escalating harassment and inappropriate conduct after he failed to reciprocate Perry’s alleged advances.

Actor Derek Dixon sued Perry for sexual assault and sexual harassment in a lawsuit filed with the Superior Court of California in Los Angeles on June 13.
Actor Derek Dixon sued Perry for sexual assault and sexual harassment in a lawsuit filed with the Superior Court of California in Los Angeles on June 13.

The actor stated he first met Perry at an event in 2019, where Perry reportedly picked him “out of a crowd,” requested his phone number, and indicated potential acting opportunities. Dixon was subsequently cast in two episodes of Perry’s BET+ series Ruthless. He asserts that Perry framed the role as a stepping stone, allegedly beginning a pattern of quid pro quo offers.


In January 2020, Dixon visited Perry’s home in Douglas County, Georgia, where he says he was served multiple alcoholic drinks and encouraged to stay overnight. He claims that while sleeping in a guest room, he awoke to Perry allegedly climbing into bed and touching him inappropriately. The complaint describes Dixon being “stunned and seized by tremendous fear” as Perry allegedly rubbed his inner thigh in a sexual manner.

Besides his many accusations against Perry, Dixon also included several years’ worth of alleged text message exchanges between him and the “Madea” creator in his lawsuit.
Besides his many accusations against Perry, Dixon also included several years’ worth of alleged text message exchanges between him and the “Madea” creator in his lawsuit.

Following the alleged incident, Dixon was cast in a recurring role as Dale on Perry’s series The Oval. He contends that Perry pressured him to quit his other job, suggesting it interfered with Perry’s control. Dixon also claims the character he portrayed—a gay, homeless store clerk forced into sex for shelter—reflected Perry’s real-life interests in a partner.


The lawsuit further details a 2021 incident during another visit to Perry’s Georgia residence. Dixon alleges Perry asked for a “good night” hug, during which he pulled down Dixon’s underwear and groped him. Dixon says he verbally objected but was physically restrained before he managed to redirect the conversation and avoid further escalation.

A screenshot of an alleged text message between Perry and his accuser.
A screenshot of an alleged text message between Perry and his accuser.

The complaint includes text messages allegedly exchanged between Dixon and Perry over several years. Dixon eventually filed a formal complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in June 2024 and resigned from The Oval due to what he describes as ongoing harassment.


Dixon is suing Perry and Tyler Perry Studios for multiple claims including sexual assault, quid pro quo sexual harassment, hostile work environment, workplace gender violence, retaliation, and emotional distress.

According to the lawsuit, Perry allegedly wrote that he was “jealous” seeing Dixon with other men
According to the lawsuit, Perry allegedly wrote that he was “jealous” seeing Dixon with other men

In the filing, Dixon compared Perry to other high-profile figures previously accused of abuse, stating: “Just like Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, Sean ‘P-Diddy’ Combs, Kevin Spacey, Roger Ailes, and many others in the industry, Mr. Perry’s success has led him to believe that money and influence can get him whatever he wants.”


Perry’s attorney, Matthew Boyd, denied the allegations, asserting that Dixon is attempting a fraudulent shake-down. “This is an individual who got close to Tyler Perry for what now appears to be nothing more than setting up a scam,” Boyd stated. “Tyler will not be shaken down, and we are confident these fabricated claims of harassment will fail.”


The case is currently pending in the California court system.

Another screenshot of messages
Another screenshot of messages
Continuation of the screenshot
Continuation of the screenshot

Comments

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating

Top Stories

1/4

Stay up-to-date with the news straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2021 by Naidja Scoop. All rights reserved.

bottom of page